Sunday, July 31, 2011

PROJECT: Seating Area Chairs

I have another furniture redo to share with y'all. I picked up these awesome chairs last year at an estate sale. Everyone who saw them sitting around my house was skeptical, but after finally transforming them I am sure they will be a big hit! I love the intricate funky backs and they are the right size and height to sit perfectly below our front living room area as a little seating area. Here is what they look like now.


Here is a photo of what the chairs looked like before the transformation.


The cushions were still in good shape so I decided to just cover them with a new fabric to hide the retro fabric that they came with. I would love to be talented at reupholstering (anyone know where I can take a class in Birmingham?) but for this project I just had to wing it.

I traced around the cushion and added an inch for seam allowance to get the top and bottom pieces. I also cut a strip of fabric to be the sides of the cushion and chose the size of this by measuring how wide and long it was on the original cushion.

I sewed the long edge of the strip around the top piece, right sides together. I sewed the other side of the strip to the bottom piece, leaving a 2 ft opening so I could turn the cover right side out and put it over the cushion.


Then I sewed the opening shut. I didn't have zippers long enough for this and knew I would never actually take these to get cleaned so instead of making them removable, I made these permanent slipcovers. They didn't turn out wonderful but I think they do they job and no one is going to look close enough to witness the imperfections.


For the chairs, I deglossed them then primed and painted them with spray paint. I used a color from Rustoleum called winter gray. I loved the color on the cap but once the chairs were finished and inside I worried they looked a little light bluish. Here is a photo of the chairs after paint, but before glaze.

The paint did a lot for these chairs but what really made them look superb was the glaze process I did next. This was my first time using glaze but I had been wanting to try this for a long time. I watched this video on glazing from one of my favorite blogs to get tips on the technique. I used Valspar tintable glaze from Lowe's that I had tinted black.

Here are a bunch of photos of the finished product, after the glazing. Pictures really do not do these justice. The glaze makes all the details pop wonderfully and they look so antique-y and beautiful. Other than the slightly bluish tint they have, I am thrilled with the results. What do you all think?









I am off to continue ruining my nails with chemicals, paint and sanders :),

*Bonnybee

3 comments:

  1. ooh i love these! thanks for sharing all of these awesome DIYs! They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm those chairs are AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete