Saturday, January 28, 2012

Distressed Wood Sign

Today I want to share with all of you a sign I made for my mother for Christmas.


My mom, like me, is a huge dog lover. At the end of a long day I love coming home and cuddling up with this guy...
So I thought a sign like this would add some cheer to her wall. Making a sign like this is super easy so here is a tutorial on how you can make your own.

First you need a piece of wood. I had a scrap piece of pine lying around that was the right size but you can use plywood, scraps or whatever you prefer since it will be painted. Also if you don't have a saw you can get the nice gentlemen at the hardware store to cut the piece to size before you buy it. I spray painted my board white to start with. (painting with acrylic paint and a brush would work just as well)

Then I cut out letters with my awesome Silhouette machine and stuck them on the wood. If you don't have a cutting machine you can use peel and stick lettering from the craft store.

With the letters on I sprayed two nice coats of flat black spray paint over the piece. After letting that dry I carefully peeled off the letters with some tweezers to reveal the clean type. I then used my orbital sander (again, for those without, sandpaper and some elbow grease will work the same) and distressed the edges and a few spots to give it that worn in look.


I was thrilled with the results (and so was my mom!). I love the look of these signs...I want to try some with pallet wood, and am thinking there is a perfect spot for one in my bedroom! Any of you think you would like to try this easy weekend project? What phrase would go on your sign?

As always, I would love to hear from you in a comment below. I'll be back soon with another project so be sure to check back!

*Bonnybee

No comments:

Post a Comment